Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

First Marvel, now Lucasfilm...Follow

#1 Oct 30 2012 at 2:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
Joystiq wrote:
Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, LucasArts included

Disney has just announced its purchase of Lucasfilm Limited, the umbrella corporation responsible for all things Star Wars, Indiana Jones and pretty much anything else George Lucas has ever had his hand in. The purchase will set ol' Walt back $4.05 billion.

Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound and LucasArts are all included in the purchase price, meaning that Disney has not only found a way to profit from the production of movies that it isn't making, but also how to get Jar-Jar Binks into a Kingdom Hearts game.

The company also announced that Star Wars 7 exists and is aiming for a 2015 release date, which makes this the most insane thing ever. Lucasfilm co-chairman Kathleen Kennedy will become president of Lucasfilm under Disney, and will also act as executive producer on "new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant."



How long do you think it will be till they replace Yoda with Mickey, and have Wolverine single-handedly wiping out the Jedi order?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#2 Oct 30 2012 at 2:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,436 posts
My Sith Sorcerer will soon have Pluto as a companion pet.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3 Oct 30 2012 at 3:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
How long do you think it will be till they replace Yoda with Mickey, and have Wolverine single-handedly wiping out the Jedi order?
I'd go see that movie.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/30/technology/disney-buys-lucasfilm/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Edited, Oct 30th 2012 4:21pm by Xsarus
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#4 Oct 30 2012 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,609 posts
Opens the doors to the Kingdom Hearts games having Star Wars levels now... The next one for the 3DS.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#5 Oct 30 2012 at 5:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
This video posted by Kotaku from an unknown source seems to sum it up pretty well.

http://updates.kotaku.com/post/34662246270/lets-look-back-on-an-iconic-scene-from-the
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#6 Oct 30 2012 at 6:39 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,923 posts
Well, to be fair, it's not like Disney will assume direct control over the production of the movie. The only difference is that if George goes "We need a duckman sidekick with a speech impediment!" the producer/director can go "Um, no" without people being fired. Who knows, maybe that's a good thing.

And maybe LucasArts will loosen their grip on the gaming side of the franchise as well. I've heard that they are completely obsessed with controlling every little bit of any development in any game using LucasArts material.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#7 Oct 30 2012 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,781 posts
I think it's a double edged sword. We may get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray!
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all hell for a basement"

#8 Oct 30 2012 at 6:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
Iamadam wrote:
I think it's a double edged sword. We may get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray!


After they've been removed from the Disney vault for a "limited time".
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#9 Oct 30 2012 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,781 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Iamadam wrote:
I think it's a double edged sword. We may get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray!


After they've been removed from the Disney vault for a "limited time".


@#%^ it, I'll still buy it.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all hell for a basement"

#10 Oct 30 2012 at 7:00 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,609 posts
Iamadam wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Iamadam wrote:
I think it's a double edged sword. We may get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray!


After they've been removed from the Disney vault for a "limited time".


@#%^ it, I'll still buy it.


You better buy it, cause you never know if Disney will take it back out of their Vault. It could be the last time... EVER!
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#11 Oct 31 2012 at 7:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,253 posts
I can never be replaced.
#12 Oct 31 2012 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
Kotaku wrote:
According to a report on THR, the “majority” of the $4 billion George Lucas is receiving for the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney (he owns 100% of the company) will be going to charity.

“George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors”, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm told the site today.

The “bulk” of that money will be going towards a “foundation which will primarily focus on educational issues”.


If there is any justice in the world he will donate the money here.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#13 Oct 31 2012 at 8:15 PM Rating: Excellent
@#%^
*****
15,781 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Kotaku wrote:
According to a report on THR, the “majority” of the $4 billion George Lucas is receiving for the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney (he owns 100% of the company) will be going to charity.

“George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors”, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm told the site today.

The “bulk” of that money will be going towards a “foundation which will primarily focus on educational issues”.


If there is any justice in the world he will donate the money here.


It would be cheaper to just have him killed.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all hell for a basement"

#14 Nov 10 2012 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#15 Nov 11 2012 at 3:02 AM Rating: Decent
I'm perfectly fine with disney buying star wars. I mean, the marvel movies didn't get watered down(so far), so we're bound to at least get a halfway decent star wars movie or two out of the deal. Disney knows its not in their best interests to kill a franchise by disneyifying it.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#16 Nov 12 2012 at 3:10 AM Rating: Decent
******
21,717 posts
Dunno whether to post this here or in the Asylum thread of the same origin, but I read yesterday that it's been confirmed. The 7th episode in the feature film line is going to be written by the guy who penned the "Toy Story" scripts.

Oy vey.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#17 Nov 12 2012 at 9:18 AM Rating: Excellent
I enjoyed Toy Story.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#18 Nov 12 2012 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,923 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Dunno whether to post this here or in the Asylum thread of the same origin, but I read yesterday that it's been confirmed. The 7th episode in the feature film line is going to be written by the guy who penned the "Toy Story" scripts.

Oy vey.


Just Toy Story 3, actually, which got him nominated for an Oscar. He's also known for writing Little Miss Sunshine, which actually won him an Oscar.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#19 Nov 14 2012 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,781 posts
Mazra wrote:
BrownDuck wrote:
Dunno whether to post this here or in the Asylum thread of the same origin, but I read yesterday that it's been confirmed. The 7th episode in the feature film line is going to be written by the guy who penned the "Toy Story" scripts.

Oy vey.


Just Toy Story 3, actually, which got him nominated for an Oscar. He's also known for writing Little Miss Sunshine, which actually won him an Oscar.


Can't say his resume doesn't make him worthy. I liked both of those movies.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all hell for a basement"

#20 Nov 15 2012 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
******
43,176 posts
Iamadam wrote:
Can't say his resume doesn't make him worthy. I liked both of those movies.
It's a very short resume. As a writer, he has two made movies, two pre-production, one in production/filming/post-production, and before that he was Matthew Broderick's assistant.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#21 Nov 15 2012 at 8:39 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,131 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
and before that he was Matthew Broderick's assistant.


The worm guy?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#22 Nov 15 2012 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,923 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Iamadam wrote:
Can't say his resume doesn't make him worthy. I liked both of those movies.
It's a very short resume. As a writer, he has two made movies, two pre-production, one in production/filming/post-production, and before that he was Matthew Broderick's assistant.


Everyone starts with a short resume. I think the franchise will benefit from some new blood.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#23 Nov 19 2012 at 5:19 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,744 posts
I may not enjoy the movies as much considering i read the books after the movies i doubt it will follow the same story told. what ever the new movies are going to be about they will probably do very well.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 95 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Cyliena, Iamadam, Jophiel, lolgaxe, Szabo, Timelordwho, Anonymous Guests (88)