Please note that my Cure results are made using Furen's Cure Calculator, which isn't perfect, but good enough for my purpose.
Last night I acquired a Tefnut Wand from my Linkshell. I've wanted one for some time, but couldn't bring myself to pay the 3-5 mil that they've been going for on my server. After some research and some soul-crushing rounds of Synergy, I believe I've built what I consider to be the 'perfect' cure potency set.
Tefnut Wand: 15% Genbu's Shield: 5% augment Orison Cap +2: 10% Fylgja Torque +1: 3% Roundel Earring: 5% Orison Earring: 2% Augur's Gloves: 4% Orison Cape: 3% Zenith Pumps: 4% augment Total: 51%
Obviously this leaves room for an imperfect augment on Genbu's or Zenith, or an NQ Fylgja. It's also possible to use a Medicine Ring and swap out a variation of other gear for MND, pushing cures to the absolute maximum possible that the game allows. However, with the ease of obtaining 50% nowadays, the popularity of low-manning, and the difficulty and strain of carrying HP->MP gear, I find myself hesitant to go that route.
After running the numbers I'm having some doubts as to whether or not it's all worth it. Before my acquisition of Tefnut, I was using a 49% set using Surya's +2 (soon to be 50% with the upcoming update). The difference between my new Tefnut set and my old set is currently a measly 7 HP on Cure V (so maybe 11 HP Cure VI?). As I've said before, this could be pushed up a few HP by swapping a Medicine Ring for 2-3 other pieces, but I would prefer to avoid that.
Advantages of the Tefnut Set:
- Currently the best possible Cures obtainable, whether using a Medicine Ring or not, but only by a small margin.
- I can melee for club procs using it, retaining my maximum potency while building TP.
- I retain Genbu's -PDT even while casting Cures.
- I retain Genbu's -Cure Casting Time augment (this isn't actually an issue, as I can start casting in Genbu's no matter which set I use).
- The upcoming update may introduce more potency gear with less MND sacrifice than I currently need to make for this set.
- It looks pretty.
Advantages of the Surya's +2 Set:
- Inventory +1; I already have a Surya's completed and will keep it for use on other jobs.
- More Inventory +1; I wouldn't need to carry Zenith Pumps.
- It will soon be 23%, making my Surya's set a full 50% and bridging the gap with my Tefnut set (unless new potency gear comes out).
- I could sell Tefnut, which is worth a hefty wad of gil, and may or may not plummet in price after the update (dependent on new gear and the popularity of Voidwatch post-update).
- My grandmother collects birdhouses, which Surya's resembles greatly.
Opinions? Pros? Cons?
Edited, Sep 9th 2011 3:40pm by Chewzer