Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

A reporting and curiosityFollow

#1 Nov 20 2012 at 12:30 AM Rating: Decent
**
809 posts
I made a report to the GMs basically asking for them to investigate a single seller on the AH. This person had 5 Reins of the Crimson Deathcharger listed, for 10k per, which for my server is -really- low considering how it's obtained (post Shadowmourne reward). I personally suspect dupe hack.

In any case, I know i wont hear any outcome if they look into it, but the response I did get was less than hopeful. Entirely missing the point of my report, the GM simply sounded annoyed i didnt use the other reporting procedures (right clicking their portrait or name in chat). Bleh.

:Now I'm just curious if anyone else has similar, missing the point kind of interactions with GMs. Or perhaps I missed something unsaid in the reply. /shrug
____________________________
"...for he suffers the worst fate he can know, and that is to know that he dies."
#2 Nov 20 2012 at 5:07 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
942 posts
Don't know about this issue but in my personal experience the quality of GMs has dropped considerably. If I were you I would probably just re-open the ticket, repeat the concern and ask for a more polite answer next time.
Had two incidents now in the last ~6 months where the first answer I got was absolutely beside the point of my original ticket. Both times re-opened and got a helpful answer later. Even if in one case the issue at hand couldn't be resolved, at least the GM explained to me why that was the case instead of just giving me a generic copypasta answer.

Edited, Nov 20th 2012 6:07am by TherealLogros
____________________________
Osseric
#3 Nov 20 2012 at 6:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Blizz seems to have made the GMs become experts in different fields, so not using the "new" system and just opening a ticket is like a thing of the past. I sent in a ticket the other day and a GM replied not only to my issue, but kind of explained this new Report->Get closer to exact issue -> right GM gets the ticket.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#4 Nov 20 2012 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
530 posts
With customer service issues, it's usually the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get someone awesome, other times you try again. Also, bad experience stories spread faster than good ones so it may seem that poor service is more prevalent that good service, when in fact no one really makes an issue about the good GM's.

For the most part, I've never had an issue that wasn't resolved, I've always found Blizz easy to deal with.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#5 Nov 20 2012 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,945 posts
It seems like they expect *everyone* to report *everything* about a player through the automated "right click to report" system.

The problem is, they don't seem to realize that a lot of reportable issues don't seem to fall under some of those categories.

There's "Name", "Language", "Cheating", and "Harassment" AFAIK. I think I'm forgetting one.

But what about Griefing (such as intentionally blocking a quest turn-in, like those HH pumpkins that nameplates don't work with)? Do we click "Harassment" on that? Given that there's no room to describe your actual problem, if I click "Harassment", is the GM going to know what I'm even reporting him for? He'll check the guy's logs and such and then see that he wasn't "Harassing" anyone and just dismiss the report as a false thing and move on?

The OP's example, how do you use the Report Player system on a player you can't target or get his name from the chat? You see what appears to be economy exploitation in the AH, and want to report it... but you'd have to FIND the player in the game world somewhere to actually report him.

So, errr... okay? How exactly are we to do that, then? I suppose there's /who, but what if the player only logs on for a few min during wee hours of the night? We're supposed to camp him to report him? lol. And if he's an AH/bank character, there's a good chance he's sending things to that alt by mail and using him to AH stuff online with the website AH (which means he'd never show up in the /who anyways).

They need to think about these things before giving off these canned "use the report feature system instead" responses, to make sure that there's an option that fits what you're reporting, AND if it is even possible to report using that system in the first place.

Edited, Nov 20th 2012 9:26am by Lyrailis
#6SolaRoe, Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 12:41 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Blizzard fired ("laid off") 600 customer service people and GMs a few months ago. The fact is that WoW is not in their long-term plans. They'll wait until the majority of the current player base gets tired of MoP, which will take about three months after MoP's release because you can only find so many different ways to level from 85 to 90, then they'll spend another year and a half issuing stupid incentives intended for idiots to make players who left come back for one more try. At that point they'll release one final expansion taking all toons to level 100, and after that there won't be any more expansions. They're already concentrating on developing a brand new game that will replace WoW, and most developer efforts are focused on that new game. You have to realize that Activision is a 21st-century business, which means their idea of the distant future is a three-year business plan and their idea of good management is shareholder return on investment over the past three months during the current quarter. WoW's history and player devotion to it over the past eight years means nothing to them. They see WoW as just another aged cash cow that is turning into a dog because it's becoming increasingly difficult to sustain profit levels through the usual efforts used in the past, which basically means new expansions. With every expansion, fewer and fewer players who have quit WoW agree to come back for more than a month or two. And, because today's businesspeople are idiots, no effort whatsoever is made to recruit brand new players who could perhaps enjoy WoW for the very first time and discover the starting areas and their wonderful magic to a brand new player. New players could easily replace the bored Vanilla veterans whose unwiped buttcracks Blizzard and Activision slurp all day. All of the level 90 snobs who pollute the WoW community could be welcome to go do something other than play WoW, and brand new players could not only totally replace them but expand the subscriber base to 20 million or even 100 million if potential players in China and India are included. But Activision is too much of a bunch of idiots to realize that. So they have already abandoned all pretense of offering customer service to WoW players, and their automatic "system" for right-clicking a toon's name to file a complaint and selecting from a drop-down menu is just a blatant strategy to discourage customer service requests from being made at all, so that Activision can soon fire ("lay off") the entire customer service team and all the GMs and leave the game totally unsupported, because nobody is creating customer service tickets any more, are they? The fact that players have realized creating tickets is useless and that's why they no longer create tickets, and that that situation was deliberately created by Activision policy and strategic vision, will be conveniently ignored in the Orwellian Doublethink quasi-cult world of a large business such as Activision. Self-serving self-fulfilling prophecies are perfectly okay if you're a narrowly self-interested, short-term-perspective business dirtbag who lives as if the Bible were written at the start of the last fiscal quarter.
#7 Nov 23 2012 at 1:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,603 posts
First of all: Paragraphs. Just...Paragraphs.

Second, the fact that you probably believe everything you wrote scares me a little.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#8SolaRoe, Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 5:02 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The technicalistic comment about paragraphing, I'll disregard, because I don't believe in technicalities. Those who are the right readers for what I write will read it, and those who are the wrong readers won't read it no matter how I paragraph it. A long block paragraph can even be a tool to discourage the wrong readers from reading, because someone who thinks the technicality of a long paragraph is more important than the substantive content of that paragraph is the wrong reader for what I write, and I don't want them reading it. (This is an adaptation of something called "esoteric writing," which was invented by Plato about 2,500 years ago and still remains effective.)
#9 Nov 23 2012 at 5:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,603 posts
I'm about to go to bed, so this will only quickly touch on some things that most stuck out at me. This isn't a comprehensive list(it's more than two hours past my bedtime), but it's a good start.

Quote:
WoW's history and player devotion to it over the past eight years means nothing to them.
No successful business would ignore this. They may fail at being able to really speak to it, but to believe that it's not important to them is to believe that they don't like making money.

Quote:
And, because today's businesspeople are idiots, no effort whatsoever is made to recruit brand new players who could perhaps enjoy WoW for the very first time and discover the starting areas and their wonderful magic to a brand new player.
Again, that they fail at it isn't in dispute. But to think that they're not trying for new customers is silly.

Quote:
All of the level 90 snobs who pollute the WoW community could be welcome to go do something other than play WoW, and brand new players could not only totally replace them but expand the subscriber base to 20 million or even 100 million if potential players in China and India are included. But Activision is too much of a bunch of idiots to realize that.
I'm not so sure that the game could draw in that many new players. I suspect that you're pulling numbers directly from a place that smells awful and is devoid of light before regular checkups start at age 50(40?). But assuming you're correct, to believe that a company that is out to make money is completely ignoring a vast market like that is to believe that they're trying to fail. And I just don't see it.

Quote:
and their automatic "system" for right-clicking a toon's name to file a complaint and selecting from a drop-down menu is just a blatant strategy to discourage customer service requests from being made at all, so that Activision can soon fire ("lay off") the entire customer service team and all the GMs and leave the game totally unsupported, because nobody is creating customer service tickets any more, are they?
Since you're apparently all about referencing, let us reference Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. I'm willing to believe that stupidity might drive them to make a poorly working system in the name of streamlining customer service, but to say that it's a deliberate and abusive attempt to completely subvert all customer service? They say it's not paranoia if someone's really out to get you. However, sometimes it really is just paranoia. An unhealthy level at that.

That's all I care to comment on at the moment as to substance of your post, perhaps more later. However...

SolaRoe wrote:
The technicalistic comment about paragraphing, I'll disregard, because I don't believe in technicalities. Those who are the right readers for what I write will read it, and those who are the wrong readers won't read it no matter how I paragraph it. A long block paragraph can even be a tool to discourage the wrong readers from reading, because someone who thinks the technicality of a long paragraph is more important than the substantive content of that paragraph is the wrong reader for what I write, and I don't want them reading it. (This is an adaptation of something called "esoteric writing," which was invented by Plato about 2,500 years ago and still remains effective.)
I thoroughly disagree. As a writer, it's important to maintain the efficacy of your message. A painful to read wall-o'-text detracts from this. Unless your intended audience is people for whom self-flagellation is a common pastime, you will discourage readers who may perhaps be swayed by your message. And even those who might otherwise be open-minded about what they're reading who decide to slog through what you've written will likely be influenced negatively simply by the lack of apparent effort put into producing an easy to read manifesto.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#10 Nov 23 2012 at 5:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,764 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Blizzard fired ("laid off") 600 customer service people and GMs a few months ago. The fact is that WoW is not in their long-term plans. They'll wait until the majority of the current player base gets tired of MoP, which will take about three months after MoP's release because you can only find so many different ways to level from 85 to 90, then they'll spend another year and a half issuing stupid incentives intended for idiots to make players who left come back for one more try. At that point they'll release one final expansion taking all toons to level 100, and after that there won't be any more expansions. They're already concentrating on developing a brand new game that will replace WoW, and most developer efforts are focused on that new game. You have to realize that Activision is a 21st-century business, which means their idea of the distant future is a three-year business plan and their idea of good management is shareholder return on investment over the past three months during the current quarter. WoW's history and player devotion to it over the past eight years means nothing to them. They see WoW as just another aged cash cow that is turning into a dog because it's becoming increasingly difficult to sustain profit levels through the usual efforts used in the past, which basically means new expansions. With every expansion, fewer and fewer players who have quit WoW agree to come back for more than a month or two. And, because today's businesspeople are idiots, no effort whatsoever is made to recruit brand new players who could perhaps enjoy WoW for the very first time and discover the starting areas and their wonderful magic to a brand new player. New players could easily replace the bored Vanilla veterans whose unwiped buttcracks Blizzard and Activision slurp all day. All of the level 90 snobs who pollute the WoW community could be welcome to go do something other than play WoW, and brand new players could not only totally replace them but expand the subscriber base to 20 million or even 100 million if potential players in China and India are included. But Activision is too much of a bunch of idiots to realize that. So they have already abandoned all pretense of offering customer service to WoW players, and their automatic "system" for right-clicking a toon's name to file a complaint and selecting from a drop-down menu is just a blatant strategy to discourage customer service requests from being made at all, so that Activision can soon fire ("lay off") the entire customer service team and all the GMs and leave the game totally unsupported, because nobody is creating customer service tickets any more, are they? The fact that players have realized creating tickets is useless and that's why they no longer create tickets, and that that situation was deliberately created by Activision policy and strategic vision, will be conveniently ignored in the Orwellian Doublethink quasi-cult world of a large business such as Activision. Self-serving self-fulfilling prophecies are perfectly okay if you're a narrowly self-interested, short-term-perspective business dirtbag who lives as if the Bible were written at the start of the last fiscal quarter.

I say we let Activision have its sordid little panacea and discontinue all involvement in WoW as a community. Just play the game as if it were a solo offline game; and if you don't enjoy playing it that way, try EverQuest or Runes of Magic instead.


Using buzz-words and a thesaurus doesn't make you look smarter if you can't actually support any of the claims you're making. Being pretentious and/or a poor communicator isn't going to win over hearts and minds, either.

1) WoW today still has more subscribers than probably the next 10 sub-based MMOs. If you legitimately believe they are trying to kill the goose while it is still laying golden eggs, I have some beach-front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you...

2) WoW has better in-game and on-line support than any of the other MMOs I've played. The automated drop-down support makes it easier to address the most common complaints, while tickets can still be used for more complex concerns. Players have always complained about the lack of feedback from report issues, and I don't see a significant increase in the complaints this expansion.

3) WoW has the most inclusive free-trial of any sub-based MMO. It's also the only game I've seen advertise via television. What more would you like to see them do to entice new players?

4) It's interesting that you think WoW could pull in 20-100 million subs. The market size for players actually willing to pay a subscription fee for an RPG is nowhere near that size globally. Facebook games and F2P games may pull in those numbers, but every estimate I've seen for the size of the market for sub games is in the neighborhood of 20-30 million. No reasonable forecast would expect WoW to take in ALL of the market.
____________________________
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unsee. Things that make you fervently wish to protect other people from ever seeing those things. This is why forum admins are sometimes cranky.
#11 Nov 23 2012 at 5:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
The technicalistic comment about paragraphing, I'll disregard, because I don't believe in technicalities. Those who are the right readers for what I write will read it, and those who are the wrong readers won't read it no matter how I paragraph it. A long block paragraph can even be a tool to discourage the wrong readers from reading, because someone who thinks the technicality of a long paragraph is more important than the substantive content of that paragraph is the wrong reader for what I write, and I don't want them reading it. (This is an adaptation of something called "esoteric writing," which was invented by Plato about 2,500 years ago and still remains effective.)

As for your attempt to address the substance of what I said, if you have any comment on anything specific or even anything general, I'd love to hear it. Your choice whether you bother to tell me about it or not, tho.


You do know why things are written in nice, easy to read paragraphs right? It isn't because of some arbitrary rule that some old guys came up with to ***** with the youth. It is so you can present your ideas in a clean and organized way. Writing your thoughts in a wall-o-text format shows nothing but laziness and in some cases a vulgar case of ineptitude. While I don't think you are inept, you certainly are trying to defend your laziness.

I am happy you are posting here. It is always nice to see a new face. You might want to tone down the crazy though if you want anyone to take you seriously. Also taking advice really helps improve how much people here will respect you. Your call in the end. -shrug-

Edit:
AstarintheDruid wrote:
Using buzz-words and a thesaurus doesn't make you look smarter if you can't actually support any of the claims you're making. Being pretentious and/or a poor communicator isn't going to win over hearts and minds, either.


Now that I think about it he reminds me of Peter from Family Guy. Smiley: laugh


Edited, Nov 23rd 2012 6:49pm by Criminy
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#12 Nov 23 2012 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,962 posts
Quote:
Those who are the right readers for what I write will read it, and those who are the wrong readers won't read it no matter how I paragraph it.


Ah, good! A Rule #3 error. Rhodekylle's Rule #3 says that the writer should pay attention to the particular traits of their medium. In this case, it means that you are new and don't know how to use the three sea shells about the magic of red and green arrows. You may notice that this site doesn't have posts from moderators, you won't see a lot of "banned" or "infracted" either. Instead, people here hit the magic arrow. You like BGs, right now you should imagine that you've just seen that big red arrow appear over your head. OK, it hasn't, but it does appear next to your posts and when it gets clicked too much, the average reader won't see that post again without digging for it. So, what you should have written goes like this:
Quote:
Those who are the right readers for what I write will probably never get to read it because it is going to wind up sub-defaulted and invisible, and those who are the wrong readers are SOBs like Rhodekylle who will think I'm a pompous twit and gleefully red arrow me..

____________________________
In Chinese: glasses are yanjing; eyes are yanjing, and the beer of Beijing is Yanjing. When speaking, the difference is in the tones. Did I just order a glass of beer or a glass of eyes?
#13 Nov 23 2012 at 8:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
Rhodekylle wrote:

Quote:
Those who are the right readers for what I write will probably never get to read it because it is going to wind up sub-defaulted and invisible, and those who are the wrong readers are SOBs like Rhodekylle and Criminy who will think I'm a pompous twit and gleefully red arrow me..



FIFY Smiley: nod
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#14 Nov 23 2012 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
You guys are having a slow game night, aren't you?
I had to go get more pie so I could wade thru SolaRoe's untechnicalistic nonsense. I'm glad MoP brought out more posters here, some of them are just too funny. /thumbsup
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#15SolaRoe, Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 3:47 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Heh. People are making some perfectly reasonable but rather silly assumptions, and they're reasonable because they apply to nearly everyone who uses the kind of language I use but silly because they just don't apply to absolutely everyone.
#16 Nov 24 2012 at 4:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
Oh man, I can't believe I've missed this thread.

Couple points:

1) I'm pretty much one of the biggest pricks you'll meet in-game. I'm talking if I'm riding by your level 9 alt and you're flagged, I'm dropping off my flying mount and blowing you the **** up.

That said, I don't look down on people not having played the game as long as me, because that's 99% of the player base. I started at launch. There are random asshats in every game. I ran into them in SWTOR, I run into them in WoW (and they're all worse than me), and I run into them when I play xbox. A vast majority are cool people, though, that understand that they're playing a game and that they just need to chill.

2) You're a huge douche that likes using big words. I know people like you, and I don't like them all. Primarily because you use flowery language to disguise your point and confuse people that don't have a large vocabulary. If you're making an argument (hint: you're making multiple arguments in this thread), you should be as clear and concise as possible while still laying out all of your premises.

3) Your wall of text is nigh-unreadable, but I still slogged through it. I've confirmed my previous hypothesis that you're a douche, but also added that you're pretentious and you have a bigger ego than I do (which is not healthy, because my ego is massive).

4) If you didn't care what anyone said, you wouldn't be posting trying to defend yourself or your point. You'd drop your truth bomb and take off flying.

So yeah, don't stick around. I like this forum and I don't think I could stand seeing any more posts from you. You're a douche.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#17 Nov 24 2012 at 7:09 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
<Drama lama>


Ok I see you are going the RAWDEAL path. Good to know. Smiley: nod
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#18 Nov 24 2012 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,764 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
The only thing I care about is staying within the rules of this forum so I don't get banned by the mods. If all the Popular Girls in the Junior High Lunchroom decide to killfile me for their own reasons, who cares? There's always the random guest who has a chance to read what I wrote while it's still fresh and near the top of the posts list and give it a chance to see whether they might agree with it--because you do notice that this forum generally tends to have the following proportion of people logged on: about two or three registered members and anywhere between 150 and 300 guests. The clique of "regulars" is something I despise in ALL environments, and I ain't doing anything in particular to cater to the tastes of that clique, ANYWHERE.


I don't remember the last time the mods banned anyone here for anything other than being a spambot. Threads get locked from time to time, or moved to OOT/The Asylum, and necro-posts get deleted occasionally. Other than that, we have some very laid-back moderators. Now, what you do need to pay attention to if you actually want people to read what you wrote is the post rating. As soon as that hits "Sub-Default", which most of your posts are doing, no one is going to see any of it. There's a little red and green arrow next to each post. Posters with a good posting karma can rate other posts up and down based on whatever criteria they choose. In your case, an overwhelming number of people have found your posts here to be pretentious examples of flagrant douche-baggery and, as such, your posts have been rated down.
____________________________
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unsee. Things that make you fervently wish to protect other people from ever seeing those things. This is why forum admins are sometimes cranky.
#19 Nov 24 2012 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
604 posts
This entire thread is giving me a headache :) it started out good and interesting( i enjoy reading others experiences in game) then just went down hill really after SolaRae started in.....and I've noticed other posts by her/him are rather pointless and Troll like. Anyway hope everyone's Thanksgiving was good :)

And for the OP. I have had a a time or two back when Ive had to get in contact with a GM about a blue axe i accidentally sold and they were really nice and recovered it for me. Granted i haven't had any recent dealings with them as I have only used the right click and report gold spammers and the like in game.
____________________________
EQ acct
Rukkuss 71 Iksar SK 1.5 Epic
Mokkas 70 Halfling Druid 1.0 Epic
Turfidor 66 Barbarian Shaman 1.0 Epic
Simplid 70 chanter(boxed)
Trembledon(70 ranger)/Rumblesx(68 monk) combo
Thugak 58 warrior
Bertoxx server
#20SolaRoe, Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 11:31 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond. There could be someone, somewhere who is the right reader for what I have to say, and they need to have an opportunity to find it. Have a nice day.
#21 Nov 24 2012 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
604 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond. There could be someone, somewhere who is the right reader for what I have to say, and they need to have an opportunity to find it. Have a nice day.


I simply stated that i felt your posts were trollish in nature I have no personal problem with you. But you do seem somewhat like a Troll.....even your other post about Activision and WoW seems kinda odd in nature....i mean if you dont like activision and their policies and principles no one is forcing you to buy their games.
____________________________
EQ acct
Rukkuss 71 Iksar SK 1.5 Epic
Mokkas 70 Halfling Druid 1.0 Epic
Turfidor 66 Barbarian Shaman 1.0 Epic
Simplid 70 chanter(boxed)
Trembledon(70 ranger)/Rumblesx(68 monk) combo
Thugak 58 warrior
Bertoxx server
#22 Nov 24 2012 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
You confuse respect for like. I respect Bodh and Theo, I don't necessarily like either of them but I do respect them. You going around and indirectly calling us the "Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom" is going to make it hard for anyone to take anything you say seriously, let alone read it in the first place. That includes any anonymous guests.

Your post count is still low though so you can rectify that. The ball is in your court though.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#23 Nov 24 2012 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
942 posts
Criminy wrote:
Your post count is still low though so you can rectify that. The ball is in your court though.


I won't be holding my breath. The attitude he/she has displayed so far is beyond terrible.

On topic: I don't think the dropdown-menu appearing when I click another players portrait is very helpful in its current form. As has been stated in this topic (before SolaRoe blessed us with his/her infinite wisdom and knowledge) many issues can simply not be fitted to either of the options. I used this function maybe four or five times so far.
I hope Blizzard improves this feature and gives us more options to fine-tune our complaints. I'd prefer it if they just scrap it and hire some more (competent) folks for normal customer service, but that's a rather far fetched hope.
____________________________
Osseric
#24 Nov 25 2012 at 3:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond. There could be someone, somewhere who is the right reader for what I have to say, and they need to have an opportunity to find it. Have a nice day.

Popularity contest or not, you still have no idea how to make a cogent argument. You've done everything you possibly could to make sure that no one will take you seriously and think you're a douche.

I mean, people think I'm a douche, but at least they know that I know my **** most of the time, so they'll still read what I write.

You're just a douche.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#25 Nov 25 2012 at 6:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond. There could be someone, somewhere who is the right reader for what I have to say, and they need to have an opportunity to find it. Have a nice day.


****. You're like some kind of prophet, I guess. It's vitally important that people have the oportunity to hear your incredible insights about the sanitary habits of people with a high level character in World of Warcraft.

Lead us, friend. Lead us to the promised land.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#26 Nov 25 2012 at 6:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,133 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest?


Most social events are popularity contests. It's how our social hierarchy is built. While we may walk around on two limbs, use silverware to cut out our food and wear pieces of cloth and skin combined into garments, we are, at the core, still animals. As with all animals, a flock needs a leader, and usually that leader is the most popular person (intimidating people are popular) in the flock - the alpha. The problem with modern society is that the number of alphas has gone up. We are no longer afraid to oppose "the man" as it were, so we have an abundance of alphas competing with each other for dominance.

The internet is no different. In fact, with anonymity being so prevalent in cyberspace, even more people are emboldened to challenge the alphas. Betas and omegas, who would normally support the alphas, are now also battling for acceptance and their slice of the hierarchic top. Some people feign apathy, like myself, but in truth we long for acceptance. You don't know me, or my past here, but if you did, you'd see that I'm not just blowing smoke out of my ***. I came, I saw a social hierarchy, I was placed in the omega caste and I tried to break out. I failed, largely due to my poor command of the language and the lingo, and had to seek out a new flock. Like with any challenge, be it social or not, you risk losing.

So, why am I comfortable enough to tell you this? Is it because I have the security that comes with dominance? Short answer would be "yes". I'm not the "Lord of the Board" so to speak, but I have been accepted into the social hierarchy of this new flock as a beta. As a beta, I constantly fight for dominance with the alphas, but I also know that I am "second in command" - if you can call it that - and it gives me a measure of satisfaction and tranquility. That doesn't mean I've left the social hierarchy, though, which is why, if you look at a closely knit social forum, like the Bored Druid Thread, you'll still see that whenever someone posts something that might threaten the position of another poster, that poster will disagree quite strongly. We don't fling ***** at each other, anymore. Having discovered the art of counterarguments, we now choose to present our own opinions and back them up with facts. A philosopher with a degree in didactic pedagogy would say that we have become "educated".

Of course, sometimes, when the challenge is brutal enough, we revert back to the primal stage and start screaming and throwing bodily fluids around - figuratively speaking, of course, since this is a textual medium.

Edit: I'm speaking from an ethological point of view. It's not like we have a coronated leader, and no one would ever agree that they were locked into a social hierarchy (independence is a vital deception for humans), but it's there.

Look at me sounding like I know sh*t about sh*t. I don't, I really don't; but it's always fun to pretend, right?

Edited, Nov 25th 2012 11:12pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#27 Nov 25 2012 at 6:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Thanks for that piece of pop sociology, Maz.

I'd have gotten some real joy out of saying that if not for your last sentence. Now my life is as small and empty as the eye of a needle.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#28 Nov 25 2012 at 6:13 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,133 posts
I aim to shatter hopes and dreams. Smiley: smile

Edited, Nov 25th 2012 1:14pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#29 Nov 25 2012 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,322 posts
Why do people want to assume that if a World of Warcraft 2 comes out it will completely replace the original? Look at Everquest and Everquest 2. Both games still exist with new content being added through expansions on a regular basis. Just because a sequel gets made does not mean the game will automatically shut down.
____________________________
Hi
#30 Nov 25 2012 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Mazra wrote:
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest?

Most social events are popularity contests. It's how our social hierarchy is built. While we may walk around on two limbs, use silverware to cut out our food and wear pieces of cloth and skin.....[lots of Awesome Maz Speak Smiley: waycool ] ...


Not sure if it's the paint fumes or what Maz said, but my gf said I was laughing strangely.


____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#31 Nov 25 2012 at 1:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
720 posts
Maz for president.

And if we accomplished one thing in this thread, it is that SolaRoe now uses paragraphs.

Edited, Nov 25th 2012 11:51am by Xizervexius

Edited, Nov 25th 2012 11:51am by Xizervexius
____________________________
Skywall Horde:
Jebek, Orc Hunter
Missarthas, Belf DK


"Live life like a dog ... if you can't eat it or hump it, **** on it and walk away.
#32 Nov 25 2012 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,133 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
Not sure if it's the paint fumes or what Maz said, but my gf said I was laughing strangely.


I imagine it's a bit of both. Smiley: tongue

Xizervexius wrote:
Maz for president.


No, thanks, being alpha is way too demanding. I want to rule the world like a boy king, but it's purely subconscious primal urges and not something I actively pursue.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#33 Nov 25 2012 at 6:53 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,945 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond. There could be someone, somewhere who is the right reader for what I have to say, and they need to have an opportunity to find it. Have a nice day.


Hate to break it to you buddy, but...

1). WoWhead is much more popular than Allakhazam, especially since it is part of the same network of sites now.
2). These forums don't get anywhere near as much attention (or traffic!) as they once did.
3). We're pretty much a collection of people who are used to seeing one another, who have gotten to know each other for the most part.
4). It isn't a popularity contest; you just have to not be a douche/idiot/***/etc which is difficult for some people, I know.

Throwing out vague insults like "Popular Kids in the Jr High Lunchroom" is kinda stupid. You realize that the majority of the "known" names here are probably twice your age, right? If not twice your age, we are certainly twice your maturity.

It isn't hard to have fun on these forums. It just takes a little growing up...

1). Don't be an ***.
2). Don't be an idiot.
3). Treat people with respect.
4). Don't do the tinfoil hat thing.
5). People who come here enjoy WoW; bashing WoW or their developers will get you sub-defaulted in a hurry. Yes, I know, these forums are full of people who are fans of the game. And yes, I know that is somehow difficult for newcomers to understand.
#34 Dec 06 2012 at 9:54 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,135 posts
I barely ever post, so I'm definitely not in the "popular kids" category, as I'm pretty much an unknown most of the time. However my posts don't get rated into oblivion. I even get the odd green arrow. It has very little to do with whether you're in the club or not.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize how far back the most recent post was! The thread wasn't even halfway down the page! This forum really is stagnant!



Edited, Dec 6th 2012 10:56am by FFATMA
#35 Dec 06 2012 at 9:57 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,937 posts
SolaRoe wrote:
Oh, so this forum IS a popularity contest? That's fine. I'll still continue to post even if none of the Popular Kids in the Junior High Lunchroom read or respond.
I bet you're the first person to come to that conclusion.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#36 Dec 06 2012 at 4:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,603 posts
FFATMA wrote:
Edit: Wow, I didn't realize how far back the most recent post was! The thread wasn't even halfway down the page! This forum really is stagnant!
Actually, there's been a fair bit of activity lately compared to how it had been. It's just all confined to a handful of discussion threads.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#37 Dec 06 2012 at 4:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,945 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
FFATMA wrote:
Edit: Wow, I didn't realize how far back the most recent post was! The thread wasn't even halfway down the page! This forum really is stagnant!
Actually, there's been a fair bit of activity lately compared to how it had been. It's just all confined to a handful of discussion threads.


....and most of those posting here are the same handful of people that we've come to know/understand.... well, as well as one can "know" someone from a forum at any rate.

We have the occasional visitor or new person come and go, but for the most part, its the same handful of peeps just talking.

I'm fine with that.
#38 Dec 06 2012 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,872 posts
Some of us are just here to mock spammers, rehash old war stories, and give advice that hasn't been relevant for 5 years. We aren't as vigorous as we used to be, but we can still fake it now and again.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#39 Dec 07 2012 at 2:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,109 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Some of us are just here to mock spammers, rehash old war stories, and give advice that hasn't been relevant for 5 years. We aren't as vigorous as we used to be, but we can still fake it now and again.



/signed
____________________________
Wherever I go - there I am.
#40 Dec 07 2012 at 9:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Has this become a check-in thread now?

____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#41 Dec 08 2012 at 1:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
You realize that the majority of the "known" names here are probably twice your age, right? If not twice your age, we are certainly twice your maturity.


Who are yo-

Quote:
3). Treat people with respect.


****.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#42 Dec 19 2012 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
Equal Opportunity Hater
*****
19,369 posts
cynyck wrote:
Has this become a check-in thread now?



Can I get a bellhop to carry my bags?
#43 Dec 19 2012 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
Equal Opportunity Hater
*****
19,369 posts
And while I'm here:

"somenobody" wrote:
The fact is that WoW is not in their long-term plans.


Anyone who doesn't put their MMO in a long term plan is setting up for failure. MMOs are long term games, there's too much investment and risk for them to be short term. Blizzard put WoW in their long term plans, proof being they've got one of the most populated and successful MMO in history. Just because they may or may not be heading in the direction you think they should doesn't mean it's not planned. And where did you even get your so called 'fact' from anyways? Onus, proof and all that, my stupid little run-on-paragraph buddy.
#44 Dec 19 2012 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Drama Nerdvana
******
20,654 posts
Mentalfrog,

You're still alive....Smiley: frown
____________________________
Bode - 90 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#45 Dec 20 2012 at 7:21 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,133 posts
It's almost like in the good old days.

Has anyone seen my glasses? The rose-tinted ones... I need them.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#46 Dec 20 2012 at 8:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,603 posts
Mazra wrote:
It's almost like in the good old days.

Has anyone seen my glasses? The rose-tinted ones... I need them.
I think you traded them for beer goggles.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#47 Dec 20 2012 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,133 posts
Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to wearing both.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#48 Dec 20 2012 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Mazra wrote:
It's almost like in the good old days.

Has anyone seen my glasses? The rose-tinted ones... I need them.
I think you traded them for beer goggles.


mmm, beer....
____________________________
Wahu - Disc Priest (main)
Get an Authenticator!!
#49 Dec 20 2012 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
Mazra wrote:
It's almost like in the good old days.

Has anyone seen my glasses? The rose-tinted ones... I need them.


Speaking of the good old days.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#50 Dec 21 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
AstarintheDruid wrote:
Other than that, we have some very laid-back moderators.
I'M SUPER HARD CORE!!! Smiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: motz
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#51 Dec 22 2012 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Equal Opportunity Hater
*****
19,369 posts
bodhisattva wrote:
Mentalfrog,

You're still alive....Smiley: frown


REZ PLZ! KKTHX~
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (57)