Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Slithering into the New Year! (01/01/2013)Follow

#1 Dec 31 2012 at 9:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Darqflame's Peon
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
****
5,496 posts
Screenshot

PlayOnline wrote:

The enduring valiance of adventurers like you is what has kept Vana'diel safe and sound for over ten years now, and for that, we cannot thank you enough. These winter months may usher in bone-chilling days and gloomy nights, but we hope your hearts continue to burn with passion.

Once the chills of winter have thawed and spring flowers come into bloom, a new port of call will open for all adventurers to explore. Starting with these primeval jungle lands, we on the development and operations teams will strive to return to our own roots. We'll continue to preserve what makes Vana'diel such a great place, one that people will want to visit every day.

May the New Year bring you fair winds and fair seas as you embark on a new voyage to adventure!
Screenshot

Illustration: Mitsuhiro Arita

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Perilous Procession

"Of course it has to be Leviathan. He's perfect for this!" one of my party members squawked with glee.

"See, this is the year of the snake, and guess what Leviathan is? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here who hasn't heard of the Great Sea Serpent," he continued with a mischievous smirk so unbefitting of a white mage.

Still, it was hard to disputaru his logic. The story of Veydal, the "One-eyed Demon," and his heroic battle with Leviathan has been handed down for generations all over Quon and Mindartia. While it may not be as prevalent a tale in the Far East or that rumored land to the west, there is probably no more fitting avatar to represent this year's festivities in the three nations.

Bitter though I was, I couldn't help but nod in ascension-wenscion.

Yet this situation may not be all gloom and doom. Looking on the brightaru side of things, this could be the perfect chance to prove my worth as a summoner. Now that this parade of yearly deities has become an annual affair, spectators have been wondering what's in store for the year of the snake. If I were to summon Leviathan and have him lead the procession-wession, my deeds could very well be sung by minstrels across the continent. Every adventurer would know my name wherever I wentaru!

Everything was falling into place after all.

However, I can't let my guard down; it was exactly this kind of carelessness that led to my failure-wailure before...

"Oh yeah, you summoned Fenrir a couple of years ago, too, didn't you? Then this should be a piece of memorial cake for you."

How is this sadistaru even my friend!? It's almost as if he delights in tearing my heart open and pouring salt directly in wounds!

Those past events are exactly where I'd like to keep them. I don't need to be reminded of how pathetic I looked chasing helplessly an out-of-control Fenrir around the outskirts of town. At least other adventurers were nice enough to help, and the whole scene got considered "good luck" after the fact, or I'd never be able to show my face in the Middle Lands again!

Come to think of it, isn't that around the time when adventurers began paying visits to these deific parades to usher in the New Year...? Could I actually be responsible for getting this custom-wustom off the ground!?

"Relax; you'll do fine this year, procession prowler!"
"The last thing I need is a stupid-wupid nickname!"

If history were to repeataru itself, that ridiculous moniker would surely stick. Forgetaru just the Middle Lands—I'd have to vanish-wanish off the face of Vana'diel!

"You're listing harder than a queasy Quadav. Maybe you're not Taru enough for the task after all..."
"How darey-ware you bring my Taruhood into question!"
"Then you'll summon Leviathan for us, right?"
"...Alrightaru."

How much of an idiot could I be, taken in by his goading-woading grin and extravagant bravado?

Now, my worst fears have come to fruition—history's repeated itself and I can barely breathe after chasing Leviathan for so long. The ashen skies above the sooty Gustaberg terrain reflectaru what's happened to my chance for fame all too clearly. With each ponderous step I take, I fall further behind until all hope of catching him and restoring my honor has been snuffed out. What a mockery! If Leviathan's a sea serpent, what's he doing soaring through the air?

I've had it up to here with his selfish-welfish shenanigans!

The only thing left for me to do now is lie down and countaru the seconds until my energy runs out. That ornery ophidian may have gotten the best of me for now, but I'll have the last laugh. He needs my mental energy to exist in this realm, so once he expends it all, it's back to the astral-wastral plane with him!

Just then, Leviathan stopped his leisurely airborne swim and looked back at me. His expression seemed almost disappointarued, suggesting, "That's all you've got? I thought you were better than this."

Yes, that's all I've got! I don't care anymore! I'm just sicky-wick of this! I ran after Fenrir seven years ago, and now I'm running aftaru you. What do you want from me!?

"Daddy, look! It's a weawy big snake!"

"That's right, son. This year's deity is the snake, so that feller up there's gonna bring us some good luck."

"Deewity?"

"Yup. Pay your respects and you might even get that toy you keep bugging me about."

In my torpor, I looked over to see some wayfarers bathed in the azure light castaru by the reflection of the first sun's rays off Leviathan's scales. Their heads were bowed so deeply that one would think they were praying-waying to Altana herself for salvation.

"Daddy, will good tinks happen to us because we paid our wespeks?"

"Hopefully business will be better than last year. I've heard some scary things about Adoulin, but it's also got a lot of resources that just can't be found here."

The child didn't seem to understand his father's words, as he looked up at his parentaru and cocked his head to one side quizzically. Even though his son hadn't fully grasped the situation, or maybe precisely because he didn't, the man reached out and ruffled the child's hair in reassurance.

If Leviathan were to vanish into thin air right before these two, they'd most certainly take it as an ill omen from the Goddess-Woddess.

This isn't the time to be wallowing in pity-wity over delusions of grandeur that didn't pan out!

I didn't have much on hand, but I removed the bottle of kitron juice I'd stored in my knapsack and gulped it down as fast as possible. If I was going to restore what little energy I had left, this would have to do. As I tossed the pit away and stood up with renewed vigor, Leviathan immediately returned to floataruing effortlessly along the wind current, far out of my reach. Yet that didn't seem like a problem at all.

What I'd assumed was a cruel twist of fate but moments before had metamorphosed into a divine mission. I quickly cast a protection spell upon the two travelers and dashed after that saltaruy slitherer with a new sense of purpose. No longer did he seem an adversary, but rather a partner in prosperity.

I'll show you how smartaru I am, Leviathan! I'll have you in my graspy-wasp before you can say, "Fame and fortune!"

As if he could read my thoughts, Leviathan turned his scaly head in my direction once more and cracked a smile.

Story: Miyabi Hasegawa

Event Schedule

The 2013 New Year event will slither in to the three nations at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, December 31, 2012 (PST), and slip away at 12:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 10, 2013 (PST).

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/9710/detail.html

Janus Guard.
Obtained from the 2013 New Year's event, trade items to the npc Summoners following Fortuitous Leviathan to obtain.
Screenshot

Yay mandy shield.

Edited, Dec 31st 2012 9:07pm by Szabo

Edited, Jan 1st 2013 3:53am by Szabo
____________________________
Volunteer Admin.
#2 Jan 01 2013 at 11:57 PM Rating: Excellent
How many times do you have to trade to get the shield? And what kind of items? I'm trading junk and I seem to be getting junk back... Is that my problem? >.>;;
____________________________
Signature Image
Long Live Windurst! ( ^∀^)
Maat is a big bully! マート、大っ嫌い!( ⊃д⊂ )
Windurst Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Bastok Rank 10
Zombies are delicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_9GzaUW40
#3 Jan 02 2013 at 1:11 AM Rating: Excellent
I got mine by trading the tarus a handful of crappy ninja tools I had sitting in my Mog Sack at the time. Took maybe 30 or so Tsurara (not to mention a number of Shock Spikes enchantments much to my ls's amusement), but I got the shield. It doesn't take anything special, just any random things.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#4 Jan 02 2013 at 2:27 AM Rating: Good
Jack of All Trades
******
29,231 posts
Quote:
(not to mention a number of Shock Spikes enchantments much to my ls's amusement)


So wasted on you :(
#5 Jan 02 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,130 posts
I traded all my trail cookies that I acquired doing the proto-waypoints quests & got nothing but the Galette des Rois and some buffs. I tried to trade the cake multiple times & got nothing. Finally got my Janus Guard by trading a single shihei.

I wish I could make it shoot oranges at people. Smiley: lol
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
Free Company: BadAsp Super Friends <BASF>
#6 Jan 02 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Fynlar wrote:
Quote:
(not to mention a number of Shock Spikes enchantments much to my ls's amusement)

So wasted on you :(

I don't get it... >.>;

Ralrra wrote:
I traded all my trail cookies that I acquired doing the proto-waypoints quests & got nothing but the Galette des Rois and some buffs. I tried to trade the cake multiple times & got nothing. Finally got my Janus Guard by trading a single shihei.

I wish I could make it shoot oranges at people. Smiley: lol

That would be kinda awesome! :O
____________________________
Signature Image
Long Live Windurst! ( ^∀^)
Maat is a big bully! マート、大っ嫌い!( ⊃д⊂ )
Windurst Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Bastok Rank 10
Zombies are delicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_9GzaUW40
#7 Jan 03 2013 at 5:23 AM Rating: Excellent
**
485 posts
Besides the summoners and Leviathan, there are also some peiste mobs around. Gleeful Gukumatz in Valkurm Dunes and Celebratory Kukulkan in Konschtat Highlands. Anyone get anything from them?
____________________________
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."--H. L. Mencken
#8 Jan 03 2013 at 6:02 AM Rating: Good
Jack of All Trades
******
29,231 posts
Quote:
Celebratory Kukulkan


Man, @#%^ that, I don't care how celebratory it is, I want to kick that stupid thing's *** based on its name alone D:

Actually you know what, this brings up a good point (to me, maybe not to you guys...)

I've always argued with friends that peiste mobs resemble snakes, and all of them have disagreed with me saying that they are very clearly lizards (which they are, at least in terms of in-game family, but whatever). The fact that SE is using peistes to represent the Year of the Snake ought to garner me some significant points toward my argument >_> Too bad most of these said friends aren't playing atm...

Edited, Jan 3rd 2013 7:24am by Fynlar
#9 Jan 03 2013 at 6:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,141 posts
Fynlar wrote:
The fact that SE is using peistes to represent the Year of the Snake ought to garner me some significant points toward my argument >_>


They were probably taking the peiste.
____________________________
.
#10 Jan 03 2013 at 7:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
4,406 posts
Fynlar wrote:

I've always argued with friends that peiste mobs resemble snakes, and all of them have disagreed with me saying that they are very clearly lizards (which they are, at least in terms of in-game family, but whatever). The fact that SE is using peistes to represent the Year of the Snake ought to garner me some significant points toward my argument >_>

No, they're clearly lizards (protip: feet). I think the only reason SE is using Peistes is because they dont have snakes. I'd go for Lamia, but those are clearly undead.


Edited, Jan 3rd 2013 2:03pm by KojiroSoma
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#11 Jan 03 2013 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,033 posts
I thought Lamiae were chimeras.

I wonder why S-E would bother signifying the snake with a Peiste, when all they really need to do is re-skin Leviathan.
____________________________
Level 75 Scruffy/37 Nerfherder

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
#12 Jan 03 2013 at 8:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
309 posts
Aren't snakes just lizards without legs?

I guess not... (but close)
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#13 Jan 03 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,300 posts
SunriderRagnarok wrote:
I thought Lamiae were chimeras.

I wonder why S-E would bother signifying the snake with a Peiste, when all they really need to do is re-skin Leviathan.


Nah, if Lamiae were to be considered anything (if we're going by mythology and SE usually does for the most part) they'd be daemons not to mention we already have chimerae in the game. As far as snakes are concerned, I'm not sure. Though, I have to say, when I think of mythological monsters and having played FFXI there's a few I disagree with but a vast majority of monsters pop into my head with the FFXI look (cockatrice comes to mind).

Well, with the exception of FF1 (Asps) and FF7 (Zolom) have there been any snakes? My memory's rusty but I can't remember any.
#14 Jan 03 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,130 posts
kappachan, Eater of Souls wrote:
Fynlar wrote:
Quote:
(not to mention a number of Shock Spikes enchantments much to my ls's amusement)

So wasted on you :(

I don't get it... >.>;

Pretty sure it's a reference to Vlor having a Gungnir. The added effect of using its WS gives him Shock Spikes.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
Free Company: BadAsp Super Friends <BASF>
#15 Jan 03 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,231 posts
Quote:
No, they're clearly lizards (protip: feet).


Still way closer to being snakes than lizards.

Quote:
I'd go for Lamia, but those are clearly undead.


They actually aren't, or else cures would hurt them
#16 Jan 03 2013 at 6:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Viertel wrote:
SunriderRagnarok wrote:
I thought Lamiae were chimeras.

I wonder why S-E would bother signifying the snake with a Peiste, when all they really need to do is re-skin Leviathan.


Nah, if Lamiae were to be considered anything (if we're going by mythology and SE usually does for the most part) they'd be daemons not to mention we already have chimerae in the game. As far as snakes are concerned, I'm not sure. Though, I have to say, when I think of mythological monsters and having played FFXI there's a few I disagree with but a vast majority of monsters pop into my head with the FFXI look (cockatrice comes to mind).

Well, with the exception of FF1 (Asps) and FF7 (Zolom) have there been any snakes? My memory's rusty but I can't remember any.


Storyline wise, Lamiae are considered forms of chimaerae created by alchemists to be a form of organic weapon, but their sentience resulted in them rebelling.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#17 Jan 04 2013 at 4:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
309 posts
Professor Shock Vlorsutes wrote:
Storyline wise, Lamiae are considered forms of chimaerae created by alchemists to be a form of organic weapon, but their sentience resulted in them rebelling.


I think that same explanation could be used to describe what's happened with the dishes that are currently in my sink (or more specifically, the sh*t growing on the dishes in my sink...).


Edited, Jan 4th 2013 5:22am by ChaChaJaJa
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#18 Jan 11 2013 at 6:26 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
557 posts
Does anyone have a full list or a partial list as to where these summoners and leviathan are running around? Ive seen them in a few zones, but can't remember exactly where.
____________________________
TWA - Straight outta Windurst
Ragnarok - Samurai
Rain Hat: O


#19 Jan 11 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Darqflame's Peon
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
****
5,496 posts
TWA wrote:
Does anyone have a full list or a partial list as to where these summoners and leviathan are running around? Ive seen them in a few zones, but can't remember exactly where.

Unfortunately, the event has ended yesterday.
____________________________
Volunteer Admin.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 66 All times are in CST
Szabo, Anonymous Guests (65)